Issue: Hartnett-White was re-nominated by Trump last week to lead the CEQ. The full senate could be voting on the Hartnett-White nomination in the next several weeks. Harnett-White is an oil industry tool who is capable of denying science in weirdly creative ways. Email Toomey and Casey to vote NO on Hartnett-White’s nomination to lead the Whitehouse Council on Environmental Quality.
Email: As head of the Council on Environmental Quality, Hartnett White would be in charge of coordinating interagency science, climate, and environmental policy and would oversee things such as the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) review process and agency compliance with that law.
Do not vote to confirm Kathleen Hartnett White, the reasons are listed below and speak for themselves. A vote for Kathleen Hartnett White would be an act of bad faith in science and a refutation of our current undeniable climate crisis in order to serve your fossil fuel donors.
– KHW has an educational background in religious studies and believes, via the Texas Public Policy Foundation Fueling Freedom Project that there is a “forgotten moral case for fossil fuel.”
– She seeks, through the Fueling Freedom project, to end the regulation of CO2 as a pollutant.
– She believes, as a member of the CO2 Coalition, that increased CO2 is beneficial for life on Earth.
– She argues against a shift to renewable energy in her book Fueling Freedom.
– As leader of the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality, she voted to construct a new coal plant near Dallas despite opposition from mayors and officials in 24 cities and counties.
– When the coal plant’s pollution controls were found to be insufficient, Harnett White argued that the plant owner was “under no obligation to prove its pollution controls would work.”
– Under her direction of the TCEQ, limits on radiation levels in drinking water were lowered, in defiance of EPA rules.
– Writing in The Hill, Hartnett White said: “Renewables are a false hope that simply won’t work.” and “[I]ntermittent renewables are parasitic on back-up power from reliable fossil fuels”
– She later describes climate change policies as a “civilizational threat,” and claims that “All the climate policies to date are futile.” “President Obama and his lieutenants repeatedly said that the greatest global civilizational threat is the threat of man-made global warming, in his views caused by fossil fuels” she said.
“I submit that climate policies, not fossil fuels nor CO2 is actually a civilizational threat. That’s what the book [Fueling Freedom] has kind of been about.”
Information above is from https://www.desmogblog.com/kathleen-hartnett-white
Background: Hartnett-White directs the Armstrong Center for Energy & Environment at the Texas Public Policy Foundation (TPPF). TPPF is part of the State Policy Network, a network of conservative think tanks across the country largely funded by Koch-backed dark money groups DonorsTrust and Donors Capital Fund. TPPF has received over $3.7 million from Donors Capital Fund and DonorsTrust, as well as almost $900,000 from the Koch-backed Claude R. Lambe and Charles G. Koch foundations and $100,000 from ExxonMobil.
This woman makes it up as she goes. Hartnett-White told POLITICO in an interview that rather than listen to the conclusions of the world’s foremost climate science experts as summarized in the IPCC reports, she favors a commission that would develop an “alternative scientific methodology” and would include the voices of the less than 3% of climate scientists who reject the consensus on human-caused global warming.
Hartnett-White touted the supposed “environmental benefits” of fossil fuels — and carbon pollution — in a 2015 column for conservative website Townhall.com: “No matter how many times, the President, EPA and the media rant about “dirty carbon pollution,” there is no pollution about carbon itself! As a dictionary will tell you, carbon is the chemical basis of all life. Our flesh, blood and bones are built of carbon. Carbon dioxide (CO2) is the gas of life on this planet, an essential nutrient for plant growth on which human life depends. How craftily our government has masked these fundamental realities and the environmental benefits of fossil fuels!”
Additionally, Rolling Stone reported that a state auditor report found Hartnett-White consistently failed to hold polluters accountable for breaking the law when she chaired the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality:
Luke Metzger, director of the non-profit Environment Texas, has spent years going head-to-head with the Texas Environmental Quality Commission. As chair, Hartnett-White “embodied the philosophy at the agency, which was to put the interests of big polluters ahead of public health and the environment,” Metzger tells Rolling Stone.
He cites a 2003 state auditor report finding that TEQC under Hartnett-White consistently failed to hold violators accountable for breaking its laws, applied fines that amounted to only about 40 percent of the profits the companies made breaking the law, and introduced policies that weakened its own regulations.
Background information above from: https://www.mediamatters.org/research/2016/10/12/media-guide-fossil-fuel-industry-players-setting-trump-s-energy-agenda/213618#hartnettwhite